By: Elyse Sinsay
In my household my birthday is like the kick off of the holidays. My husband and I start buying presents for Christmas, we get all the decorations organized and the last of the birthdays are just around the corner. One of the 1st holidays though is Halloween, and the Sinsay’s, take the holidays VERY seriously. Decorations, treats, costumes, (where permitted, but I do have kids so sometimes costumes are just a part of life )and food. Ahh, the food. Around this time of year it’s all about pumpkin. Pumpkin this pumpkin spice that. Well, if you are friends with me on Facebook, you know something about me… I HATE PUMPKIN!! I can’t stand the damn squash and everyone’s obsession with it! I literally flip off everything pumpkin flavored in the grocery store when I see it during the fall. Its ugly, people. Real ugly. There ARE other things to eat in the fall, ya know.
So, in an effort to stop the madness here is a recipe for…. Wait for it… cream cheese filled zucchini bread! I know, you are probably thinking, really? But it’s yummy and it actually reminds me of all the fall flavors everyone loves, just NO FREAKING PUMPKIN. You see, what you have to remember is that your ingredients are more versatile than you think they are and just a touch of one thing can transport you to a place that you thought only one other thing could. Have faith ladies, I DO have a degree in this. Here is the recipe that I promise you’ll love and keep because it is not only easy but delicious and great for Sunday breakfast.
(NOTE: I used Splenda for the sugar instead of regular to make it a tad healthier and because I am a diabetic. It tastes the same and the ratios are the same. Also, if you want to make it throughout the year you can take out the cinnamon and the nutmeg and add lemon juice (2TBSP) and zest (1 whole lemon) for a spring/summer bread. If you need a gluten free flour, this is the only one I use because it’s the best and doesn’t make food taste like ass, if you can get past the cost. But health DOES come with a price nowadays 🙁
Cream Cheese Zucchini Bread:
Yield: 1 loaf pan
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: About 45 minutes depending on your oven
Total: 2 hours, for cooling
1c sugar or splenda
½ c veggie oil
½ tsp vanilla
1 c shredded zucchini, ring out moisture with paper towel
1 ½ c flour
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp nutmeg
Pinch of salt
Cream Cheese Filling:
1 (8oz) light cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla
½ c sugar
Preheat Oven: 325
1. Lightly grease and flour pan. Set aside
2. Preheat oven
3. Mix flour, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt.
4. In another bowl mix sugar and eggs till blended smooth, then add oil. Mix well.
5. Slowly add dry ingredients to wet till evenly combined. DO NOT OVER MIX.
6. Stir in zucchini and vanilla.
8. Pour in 1/3 of the batter into your pan. Smooth batter and fill in corners. Then take the cream cheese filling and pour over batter. Take remaining batter and cover cream cheese till pan is ¾ full. You don’t need to use all of it if you don’t want to.
9. Bake for 45 minutes, but check sooner if your oven runs hot. Check with knife or toothpick, make sure it comes out clean when checking for done-ness and check at thickest point. If it’s not done, keep checking till done every five minutes.
10. Allow to cool for 15 minutes, then remove from pan. Let bread then cool completely. ENJOY!
All content and images copyright TheSisterFiles©2015 and cannot be used without expressed permission.
Photos by: Elyse Sinsay